Amazing! The install file and the web site said it would be painless – and indeed it was painless!
I downloaded 4.5.2, looked at it, and it seemed to touch EVERYTHING in the system. That got me quite scared, of course, and frankly I quite didn’t buy the fact that every file needed to be changed because of ‘copyright notices’ and such. But in the end I trusted the ease of getting my old site back, if needed, and I risked it.
Unlike most other software I patch up, in this case things were really easy. First, I tried a stand-alone install (let me not forget to delete the new database!). Worked with the usual ease. Then I upgraded my existing software by following this process:
- Untar the new distribution
- Change permissions on the new distribution directory to match the rest of the site
- Copy the old distribution into a new directory
- Copy the new distribution into the new directory
- Run the installation SQL script (if necessary, change the table names to match yours)
- Change the name of the old distribution
- Copy the new distribution into the old distribution
- Voila, your site is upgraded!
I am not sure yet that I gained anything by the upgrade – let’s see!