In case you were on here yesterday, for a brief period (a very long hour for me) the site was down. What happened? A confluence of things:
- The main hard drive filled up with an ever-expanding collection of source code
- I split said source code onto several machines, requiring a re-installation of the SCC software
- I ended up with repositories incompatible with the old version of the SCCS
- So I had to update the operating system
- Which updated everything, making my configuration files pretty much unusable
Here is the skinny.
1. Filled Up Hard Drive
The first problem I encountered were yelps from the server itself: it sent me messages gasping for air, as all internals started dying because there was no room left. Temporary files would not write; log files and rotation would die; even cron jobs would shatter.